Friday, April 12, 2013

1st Life Conversation

So I had the conversation with Sonny Boy.  And boy was it a duzey.  I first suggested that we go for a walk.  This is something that we do every know and again.  Most times he doesn't have a problem walking with me. 

So I explain to Sonny Boy that he will be entering 9th grade in September and there are things that I believe may be important for him to know.  I began talking about choices and how important to remember that he always has decisions or choices to make that will affect him.  Sometimes those choices or decisions that he makes now can or will affect his future.  I explained that as he makes the transition to high school along comes with it a new set of adventures.  Peer pressure is greater and he will be tempted to do things that he would normally not do.  So it is best to address as much now as he can so he can prepare a response before it happens.  I gave him a senario of friends hanging around smoking cigarettes and/or reefer.  They pass it to him.  What will you do?  His response shocked me.  He said: Mom you know how much cigarettes cost, ain't nobody going to share those with you.  And who gonna pay for reefer and try and give you some after they have paid their money. No body. 

I looked at him like he was crazy.  I thought to myself, "Are you for real".  Oh, Oh, Oh, my baby is clueless. He is so niave.  Anyway I explained to him that it does happen and it happens more then we both probably know.  And, just to be on the safe size he needs to think about what his choice will be and how to respond.  We talked about the effects of marijuana and how it is so contaminated with chemicals now, you don't know for sure how it will effect your mind or body.  And, not only will you not know the effects on your mind and body if you try it, you may not recover from its effect.  I went on to speak about young men who are in and out of mental facilities because they chose to smoke marijuana and it had an adverse effect on their mind.  Now, they're permanently suffering from mental illness which cannot be reversed and perhaps, will be with them for a lifetime.

Sonny Boy said that he heard some of this in a class at school and he gave me the impression that he has it all under control.  But, the question is, does he?

No comments:

Post a Comment