Friday, December 12, 2014

GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! WAIT ON IT......

             Sonny Boy attended the fall dance at his school. Boys/girls what a mixture. Hormones, hormones, and more hormones. Of course since he attends an all boys school, their boys are the only males allowed to attend.  But girls, now that is another story.  They are allowed to come from any school.  Most of the girls that attend are from local private schools and you get some stragglers from a few of the public schools.  As I sit in the parking lot waiting, I wonder if it is a good idea for the two groups to mix at such a young age.  
       I have to be honest, at 15yrs old I was already into a boy, sex, and skipping school.  I couldn't even conceive Sonny Boy doing any of the things I did, yet I realize I have very little control if that is what he wants to do.  It was a while before my mom had a clue as to what I was doing, and my dad was an absentee dad so he didn't matter.  And the keep your legs close statement she gave, was not enough information for me to understand it, let alone adhere to it.  So I know how the wool could be pulled over our eyes if we are not on our pees and ques.
     As I pick Sonny Boy and his friend up at the end, I see some scantly dressed girls coming out although it is freezing outside. The girls are loud, obnoxious, and care free.  Alive with giggles and off balance from uncomfortable heals as they bust open the big blue doors into the crisp, cold night.  The boys aren't far behind as they fall out in groups still trying to catch a girl or two.
    Of course my two are next to last to come out.  I ask how was the dance and they began to share how one young man was so intoxicated that he had to be rushed to the hospital.  Sonny Boy expressed his disappointment that no one threw money into the crowd like last year. Of course there was teasing about the dancing, those hanging on the walls, and boys who were all over the girls.
    Sonny Boy shocked me when he said that he danced a few times.  It shocks me because at home, I can barely get him to move. But it is believable because in 8th grade they had him on video 
dancing on class day.
    Sonny boy didn't get any numbers though, his friends got numbers and possible girlfriends.  In fact the next day, Sonny boy asked if he could go to the movies with his friends to meet up with the girls, although things had not been finalized yet.  Well that gave me the opportunity to share with Sonny boy the ends and outs of girlfriends.  We talked about being open and truthful with the opportunity of having many girl friends. And we talked about the opportunities, and expectations of having one girlfriend.  
     Sonny boys father doesn't seem to want to have those important conversations with him. In fact, it seems to intimidate him.  I am sure that his dad has his own stories to tell, yet his sons needs doesn't appear to override his lack of comfort with straight talk.  
    I find it so amazing that people can talk about other people, things, games, friends, lovers, themselves, stealing, drinking, lying, cheating, yet not able to talk to their children about things that can and will affect their future whether the outcome is positive or negative.  It is almost like setting them up for failure and than complaining about it when it occurs.  How crazy is that? 
    I love my son too much to see him try and maneuver the world of girls, without using some wisdom and guidance, from an experienced adult, who once learned from experience, yet is now lead by the Word.  If Sonny boys dad won't teach him, and I don't teach him, then the streets will. As a loving, responsible parent, I can not and will not let the streets dictate my sons path.
    I thank the Lord for Proverbs 6:20-24 which teaches blessings of obedience.  I am learning that there is nothing like the wisdom and knowledge available to us at anytime to help us grow into the Greatness that God destine us. ONLY GOD! 
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment