Tuesday, December 2, 2014

SHIRT POLICE?

     This morning I peeped into Sonny Boys room and all I saw was him buttoning up an obvious, wrinkled shirt.  I asked him why he didn't iron the shirt before he put it on.  He said that no one pays attention to his clothes at school.  So why bother? Really?
     I explained that it didn't matter if no one pays attention as to what he wears or how he wears it.  But he should.  And if he doesn't care, I do. Now, I won't tell him what to wear, as I see that as his choice.  But, whatever he wears, it had better be presentable.
     So I go on to explain to him that properly preparing his clothes that he wears in his teen years is preparing him for adulthood, when it really matters.  As he perfect the ironing and pressing of his clothes now it will be second nature and effortless as he enters adulthood.
    Sonny Boy looked at me and said, "Awe mom, it's not like I am going to have to take an exam on what my shirt looks like."
    As I reflect on that statement from this morning and think, Sonny Boy may not have to take an exam, but he will have to interview for college and beyond, and what he wears and how he wears it will matter.
    Proverbs 6, says: Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  
    Sonny Boy may not agree with me, with his limited I know everything mind, but as for me and my house, he doesn't have a choice, so lets get to ironing that shirt.  
    Thank you Lord for a mind to prepare Sonny Boy as best I can while he is still flexible enough to receive it.
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment