Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Exponents, Spanish, Vocabulary, and Essay to Top Off.

Shoot, it is good to be home alone and sick during the day because after 3:00p.m. hell breaks loose.  My 11yr old gets home and conveniently begin to set his miniature "Risk" pieces along the floor.  Setting up a battle that he knows no one will win.  How could they, he has no time to play with them to the end.

I'm recovering from foot surgery but I hop on into the kitchen to make him a snack.  1/2 cheese sandwich, vanilla yogurt and a glass of chocolate milk.  He comes, looks at the food and immediately gobbles down 2 spoonful of yogurt and claims he has to go now.  I know what that means.  It means the bathroom and it also means at least 45 minutes. I don't know what he does in there but it is a guarantee of at the least 35 minutes.  

Finally he comes out and takes one look at the sandwich as says that he can't eat it.  I ask why.  He states that he already had bread today and if he eats too much bread, it will make him sick. This is new to me.  So he reminds me of an example of when he ate too much bread and was sick to his stomach.  Of course I didn't quiet remember but I let it go.  I ate the 1/2 sandwich.
Next was homework that began about 5:30. It lasted well after 9:00p.m.  1st he did his vocab and I checked it over as he began his essay.  I wanted him to finished his written work 1st before he start the essay on the computer. I knew that once he sat at the computer I would have to monitor his every move.  Well I slipped up and 20 minutes later he was just sitting at the computer playing with something on the desk.  I questioned him and he said that the computer was acting up and he was unable to get on.  Hello, does it really take you 20 minutes to tell me that.  Talk about a big waste of time.I of course got on with no problems. 
I asked why he couldn't finish his other work 1st and he goes on to tell me that his teacher said that they should always do the hardest work 1st.  Now what is so hard about rewording a story from computer.  
Anyway he finally wrote that out and completed his math work and claimed that he couldn't do the Spanish because it was taught last year and he wasn't there last year. Last year as in 5th grade and not 6th grade. He also said that what he was covering wasn't in his book.  Well we both looked and looked, and checked another Spanish book and was only able to find a few of the words to complete his package.  This I asked him to get his Spanish dictionary. Oh but he had conveniently left it at school.  So I go upstairs to his bedroom to look through his books to find something we can use.  
He jotted up those stairs so fast and picked up his dictionary and shouted: Here it is! I could have slapped him into the middle of last week. Mind you I am down a foot and had to hobble up the stairs and back down and his little butt knew it was there in the 1st place.
Then he started worrying me about taking a shower.  Mind you this is the same kid that hates to take a shower any other time.  In fact he will take a shower for at least 45 minutes, use up all the hot water, and then get out and haven't touched his face, hair, or underarms.
He thought when he got out he could go to bed without finishing his homework.   But, no, no, no, that was not going to happen.  I got him back downstairs and we reworked those exponent problems.  Then off to dreamland he went. Me, I was exhausted.  For some reason I didn't realize that while he's in school, I am too. I guess when I was in school and wondered why I was learning all the information the teachers threw at us that I didn't think I would need, I didn't realize that I would be using it today to help my son today.  Power to retention.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment