Sunday, January 26, 2014

PAYING HURTS!

     Recently Sonny Boy has been having trouble in Biology. It actually has been all of the marking period that has caused concern.  Believe it or not, his biology teacher stays after class until at least 4:00, or comes in before school begins for any student that needs help.  Sonny Boy also has the opportunity for tutoring at the local college at least 2 days a week.
     Well Sonny Boy stayed after school seeking help with the teacher, perhaps twice and I would be stretching it to said three times. And, he was tutored in biology at the University once at the most. It was a waste of his time, and his grade actually got worse.
     I learned that Sonny Boy was not putting in the effort that he needed.  He thought he knew how to study. Everything is on his I-pad so he spent time reading the text ebook and the notes the teacher put on the I-pad.  He did not take any written notes at all.  He felt he didn't have to, besides he could always surf the net when he got bored with the lesson. I would hate to say it but I think he may have spent more time surfing the net then he did reading or studying the ebook.
     Now it is exam time.  I am wondering what to do.  Then it hit me that I have threatened him twice about getting him a tutor with him having to pay. So I prayed for a tutor and God sent me one.  It was a biology tutor at the University that he didn't know.  She agreed to tutor him for the three days before the exam.
       At his first tutoring session she scolded him for not taking written notes and not reading the actual biology book instead of the ebook. She made him work for his money. When he sat for the exam he felt he was more prepared then in the past.
      I asked Sonny Boy how he felt about paying for the tutor.  He said that he didn't like it.  It cost him $60.00, that he took from the money he was saving for a ps4.  Sonny Boy went on to say that he didn't like paying for a tutor but you have to do it cause you get a lot out of it.  He then went on to comparing it to taxes.  He stated that paying for a tutor is like paying taxes.  You got to pay them.  Paying taxes gives you a lot of stuff, like a house and utilities.
     I thought about correcting him on his version of what taxes do for you.  But decided that it's better to let it go.  Besides, when I paid a tutor for him he took it for granted. But when he paid, well it meant something to him.
     Sometimes you have to pay into something to get something out of it.  I thank God for the lesson the Sonny Boy has learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment