Monday, November 18, 2013

CAN YOU HEAR ME

    So my daughter who lives in Jersey invited Sonny Boy to visit  before the end of summer. 
    Sonny Boy is attending a new school in September and he had to take a English review course during the month of July. He has had a bone growth on his leg for over 2 years.  I just could not find a time that would be favorable for us to have it removed.  So this summer we decided to just do it.  I for one was tired of him complaining about his muscles or tendons getting caught on it during sports.  I know you are probably thinking: Oh my God how could she?  But, trust me, Sonny Boy does not participate in sports like that.  He is the laid back, book in his face kind of guy. So the times that he complained wasn't often.
    Anyway, Sonny Boy had this surgery in August. So he was on restrictions until October 2013.  He could not have been happier because now he had reason to sit around and overdose on playstation 3 and kindle fire applications, oreo cookies and pancakes with maple syrup.  Not necessarily in that order.
    It still amazes me how God connects people when we don't even see it coming.  The Surgeon that his Pediatrician referred us to on Sonny Boys initial visit two years ago, we learned later on, but right before the actual surgery, is a graduate of this school that Sonny Boy would be attending.  And not only did the Surgeon graduate from this school but, his son currently attends this school.  So needless to say the Surgeon was overjoyed to have Sonny Boy as a patient and shared his days at the school.   
   This school is one of the best high schools in our city for boys only and most of the attendees have a family history there. It runs like a blood line.  The grandfather, father, brother, uncle, cousin, etc. has attended.  You get the point.  But for Sonny Boy's family, he is the first. Trust me, we did not choose this school lightly.  I for one sought counsel from a member of the trustee board and he calmed my fears.
    Getting back to Sonny Boy making the trip to see his Sister after surgery, but before school began. My Brother drives for Greyhound so I spoke with him about Sonny Boy riding with him to NYC.  I discussed Sonny Boys need to elevate his leg and have extra seating. My daughter suggested that Sonny Boy should fly, because she was afraid sitting too long would irritate his leg. I shared that I know that my brother would take care of him.  My brother is a talker so I knew that he would talk to Sonny Boy the 8 hours it would take to get to NYC.
    We set the trip for Monday.  Sonny Boy would spend a week with his Sister and her family.  Now since surgery, Sonny Boy had been up and around on crutches.  He was told that he could put some pressure on the leg but not a lot.  So I encouraged him some and he took it upon himself to do more.  I caught him without his crutches more often then I should have and scolded him because of it.  The Sunday before he would leave, Sonny Boy awakened with both of his eyes swollen, and a minor sore throat. I cancelled the trip with my brother.  Later it seemed that Sonny Boy just had a little bit of allergies.
    I didn't want Sonny Boy to miss a trip to see his sister, since his summer had been such a bust, so I suggested that we could go as a family, leaving on Thursday and spending the whole weekend.  So on Wednesday evening after bible study, I asked Sonny Boy to get his clothes and things together that he would want to take so I could pack his suitcase.  Sonny Boys dad was hemming and hawing about going so I knew it would be just Sonny Boy and me making the trip and I told him such.
     Sonny Boy looked at me and said: "Can we go another time?"  Then he began to question what he would do there, who was going, and on and on.  I felt his hesitation and I immediately said to myself.  Okay God I'm listening, we'll just stay home.  I felt there was too much doubt going on with this trip for me.  Of course my daughter was disappointed but she went on to suggest if he is still having problems near the end of the week, I should call the Dr. on Friday. 
     I thought about what she said.  I called the Surgeon the next day.  I know that it was in Gods plan because the Surgeon got back to me himself and offered that he did not see patients on Friday because it was his day of surgery. He then shared that if I could bring Sonny Boy into the hospital where he performed surgery, and if we were willing to wait for a break between surgery, he would come out and see Sonny Boy. He also shared that we would not have to sign in. Just have a seat and wait in the Ortho dept.  That meant that this would be on his own time and no cost was involved. Only God!
     I knew after the conversation with the Surgeon that this was God working it out.  We got to the Ortho dept. and waited.  After an hour, I had to go feed my parking meter. Of course while I was away, I missed the Surgeon.  He spoke with Sonny Boy and told him that he would come back and speak with me.  He returned again but I had not returned yet. Upon my return, Sonny Boy told me what happened and said that the Surgeon may not come back.  We stayed anyway.  A few minutes later, the Surgeon came back and told me that Sonny Boy was using his leg too much and that he needed to stay off of it.  Sonny Boy was advised to keep it elevated, and apply heat to his wound. 
      I could have jumped for joy upon leaving the hospital because I was so grateful that I listened to God, and cancelled the trip.  There was no telling what the outcome would have been if I had not listened.
ARE YOU LISTENING WHEN GOD SPEAKS?

No comments:

Post a Comment